Sunday late afternoon – When I was driving down with family from Valluvarkottam heading back to home @ Velachery, just near Habibullah road, I realized that my brakes were not working. Fortunately I was in a very slow speed. I pumped my brakes, so sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. Family had a little panic, but I was cool and calm. Slow and steady I stopped the vehicle in a silent street in Habibullah Road.
Here, I need to eat my own dog food, when there is no food!! 🙂 I opened Breakdown Mobile App and I was able to reach out to a car mechanic and got the help I needed. All safe and good. We all went back home via a taxi, after an ibaco ice cream time. Remember, it is Sunday late afternoon. That means – all shops are closed and no garages work this time, because this is the time they take off or even get drunk and sleep 🙂 (Apologize, if I generalized, but in many cases it happens). The fault is – Brake Booster Assembly and that has to be replaced.
Anyway, I went home and researched on how to stop safe, when your brakes fail suddenly. Some safety tips are here –
1) Do not panic, when such thing happens. Being cool will help handle the situation.
2) Take off your leg from the accelerator
3) Down shift your gears to lowest gear (say 1st gear)
4) Apply hand brake
5) Pump your leg brake, and that helps sometimes to get back the brake.
6) Switch ON your Emergency lamp
7) Open your windows and alert other drivers, if all the above does not work to a slow stop
8) Look for a safe place to slow down and stop
9) If possible, move to a rougher surface or slight inclination to stop
10) If all does not work, Slowly touch or do a slight hit with a tree or something similar and stop.
Make your judgement and Be safe and keep the road safe!! Have a Safe Driving!!!